Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Aluminum Christmas Tree - New and Old

     While leafing through one of the many catalogs that grace the mailbox at this time of year, I came across a very nostalgic item. Surprised was I to see  a new version of this aluminum tree on the market. Not very pretty nor very traditional and actually somewhat tacky, the original holds a treasured spot in my Christmas memories. As kids in the early 1960's, we enjoyed our shiny, sparkly tree for two or three years in the living room and then it was relegated to the basement rec room. The soft light of slowly changing colors spilled up the stairwell and was visible from our bedrooms; it was comforting but exciting at the same time.

    
     When I found a photograph of our tree in the family albums, I was surprised to see how small and narrow it appears because in my memory it is like the advertisement above. Whatever the case, it will be remembered fondly.


1 comment:

  1. We had a tree like that too! What great memories!

    ReplyDelete