Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Frugal Cook On Shopping Day (Ground Beef)

     This is such a simple idea and I have practiced it for so long that it seems no big deal to me, but when I mentioned it to co-workers during a recent conversation about the price of meat, I got two widely differing responses: "What a good idea!" and "I don't have time for that!"  I only buy ground round or ground chuck (or any other meat, for that matter)  when it is on sale. Two pounds yields a couple of dinners and prep time is only a few minutes. While pressing out five burgers, the rest of the beef is browned with onion, and then all is frozen to be used at a later date. The way I see it, this forethought saves a lot of time on a busy night after work - the burgers can be popped out and grilled, or noodles, rice, beans or tortillas can be used with the browned meat. And either is a quick fix if we have an unexpected extra mouth or two to feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment