Monday, September 26, 2011

Rice Salad with Broccoli and Cranberries

     I found this recipe in a pile of papers (that have been waiting quite a while to be filed) on my desk. It was printer-generated with a  handwritten annotation about the dressing. Unfortunately I have no clue who gave it to me - fortunately the salad was excellent! The ingredients are somewhat nontraditional, at least in my circle of family and friends -  rice is supposed to be a warm side dish and cranberries belong on the Thanksgiving table in a relish (although the little red fellows are tasty in Hooteycreek Cookies).
     Anyway I combined cooked brown rice, wild rice, broccoli, celery, and green onions in a big bowl and stirred in a homemade sweet-n-sour dressing. Allowed to marinate several hours before dinner, the salad had a wonderful texture and taste, and it served as both side and salad to our oven-fried chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment