Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hello Grape Hyacinths

     In the past few years, I have become very interested in low maintenance gardening, or perhaps I should say lower maintenance, since every spring I still like to get my hands in the dirt. (I also still  like to start several plants from seed, which probably arises from my frugal creative nature that covets making something from nothing.) But a lot of the landscaping that I redid several years ago has matured and there is less barren area to fill in with annuals. These grape hyacinths are a case in point - they emerge every year on a warm spring day, bloom for a couple of weeks and then die back, soon to be replaced by the foliage of swiftly growing liriope (actually another variety of the species Muscari) - almost like armchair gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment