Monday, February 2, 2015

Button Tree

     A pretty frame with unusual dimensions inspired this project. The proportion of height and narrow width lent itself to artwork of a type that I'd been wanting to try for some time. My button collection is not extensive, but substantial enough to compose a tree and my original idea included multi-colored foliage,  in shades of either summer green or autumn orange. However those designs appeared to be a flimsy attempt at reality, so instead I tried white, which produced an expressionistic result that was much more pleasing. (It also correlated to the brown and white scheme of the guest bathroom!) After arranging the buttons on an unbleached muslin background, a simple dot of household glue was applied to the back of each. When the glue had dried, the composition was slipped into the frame and I was delighted to find my finished object d'art was striking in its simplicity.


No comments:

Post a Comment