Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmasy Clay Pot Tower

     Flower towers are popular for patios and yards during the summer months. I chose to create this holiday tower after the plants in the largest pot died back from cold. That pot was the centerpiece of a garden that I established to  hide the stump of a recently removed tree (see below). The petunias, basil and sweet potato vine were very pretty but zoysia grass crept in over the tree root area pretty quickly, as I had hoped. However, I liked the low wide pot in its place atop the smooth flat stump, so I decided to try a winter theme.

     On my daily walk I gathered pine cones from a neighbor's yard and snipped some berry-laden holly branches from several shrubs that border the parking lot at my office. The evergreen fronds were clipped from a couple of arborvitae that have grown quite large in my own backyard. The only money spent was at the Dollar Tree Store for a package of shiny red ornaments. So on an almost warm Saturday afternoon when I should have been raking leaves, I dug through my collection of pots on a shelf in the garage, picked out two of graduated size and filled them with gravel and potting soil. Assembling was the fun part - first placing the pine cones and solar light, then the holly, the fir branches and finally the ornaments. I love the naturalistic look of my clay pot tower and can't wait for the first snow, which will cover the leaves and brown grass and highlight the holiday colors!






No comments:

Post a Comment