Sunday, November 13, 2011

Apples to Applesauce (with or without long peelings)

     According to Guinness World Records: “The record for the longest unbroken apple peeling is held by Kathy Walfer (USA) who peeled an apple in 11 hours 30 minutes with a peel length of 52.51m, 172ft 4in, at Long Ridge Mall, Rochester, New York on 16 October 1976”.

     My great-aunt  always said that an unbroken apple peeling is a sign of a good cook. My apple peelings don't get too long because I am always popping pieces in my mouth (or someone else's). I have an apple corer-peeler-slicer that's been used a few times but it's cumbersome to use, a nuisance to clean and the slices are too thin for my taste, so I prefer to use a good knife instead, and in the end, the same amount of time is probably used. Plus I can sit on the back porch or in the tv room while peeling.


     A bowl of peeled Golden Delicious apples soon becames a pan of chunky slices on the stove which soon becomes a bowl of applesauce. Very lightly sweetened and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash of cloves, the applesauce is good either warm or cold, and doesn't last very long!

No comments:

Post a Comment