Monday, March 4, 2013

Christening Dress c. 1950

     The year was 1950 and it was deep winter in Grand Rapids. A first-born child was baptized at St. James Catholic Church with her proud parents, god-parents and grandparents in attendance. The tiny, chubby cheeked girl wore a white cotton batiste gown and matching slip, which were handmade and featured fine pintucking, pleats, embroidery and dainty lace edging. The same dress was used again in 1951 for a son, and then five more times in later years as the family grew. After the last baby was christened, the dress was  wrapped lovingly in tissue paper, placed in a box and put away in the attic. It survived the seven infants and a drafty dark space under the eaves, not only intact, but beautifully preserved without a single stain, rip or discoloration.


     When I found the outfit recently, I was astonished at its beauty as well as its pristine condition. I was third of the seven children to wear it and considered it a priceless treasure. Wanting to display it but also keep it safe, I researched the internet for ideas. The idea that appealed most was to baste the pieces on a fabric background to hold their shape and place the whole in a frame. Three lunch hours later (wintry weather was keeping me inside anyway!) the basting was complete and I stopped on my way home to purchase a frame. Before the items were placed in the frame, however, I added the copy of a photograph of Dad gazing at one of his own little treasures.
     Following are close-up photos of the beautifully skilled needlework. Every time I look, I am enchanted anew by the delicate detail.






No comments:

Post a Comment