Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Refurbished Upholstered Stool


     An old upholstered stool has slumbered in the storage area of the basement for more than twenty years. I picked it up for a couple of dollars at an estate sale with the intention of refurbishment but as usual things piled up (boxes and other projects!) and it was neglected, but not forgotten. Midwinter weather prompted a basement overhaul and I carted the stool outside to tackle the cobwebs and spider eggs (ew!). After unscrewing and removing the top, which was badly worn and dirty, I cleaned the wood framework and rubbed it with lemon oil. A trip to the local hobby store provided a piece of four inch foam to increase the height of the cushion. The next week, a snow day gifted me with the time to sew and reupholster the top of the stool. My scrap box held two strips of a green and gold damask that were left over from a giant pillow cover I had made the previous year. After joining them together lengthwise and sewing box pleats at the corners,  there was just enough fabric to staple to the top frame.

     The result was an interesting piece of furniture that coordinates with the living room and can be used as either extra seating or as a table if topped with a tray. I loved it even before I gave it a final rub of more lemon oil to shine and feed that thirsty old wood!

2 comments:

  1. That's just amazing and very beautiful. I wish I had such talent. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathi - always enjoy meeting nice people online.

    ReplyDelete