Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Catholic Keepsakes

        The religious items in this collage have been hidden away in an old jewelry box that I have had since I was a child. The rosary at, center, the tiny blue pendant at upper left (which hangs from a gold and pearl necklace), and the scapular were gifts from the early 1960's, probably received at my First Holy Communion or Confirmation. I am unsure about the little blue charm that hangs from a ribbon at lower right.

     Catholicism figure prominently in my childhood - I loved the sacred mysticism and holy traditions. And now I continue to treasure these keepsakes, so assembling the shadowbox with fabric backing, a delicate piece of lace-edged antique linen and pale blue crepe roses was a project I thoroughly enjoyed.

     PS: The scapular inspired a bit of research as I had forgotten its particular significance. I relearned that it is worn as a sign of salvation, a safeguard in danger and a badge of devotion, offering special protection from the Blessed Virgin Mary.



No comments:

Post a Comment