Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Optimism and a Refinished Bathroom Vanity

     Life has dealt me some changes in the past year that have preyed on my normally happy psyche: the rapid decline in Mom's physical and mental health, the race to ready and sell her house so as to afford an assisted living facility, and psychological trauma that caused my son and his family to move thirty-five miles away (generating grandchildren withdrawal!) It is easy to sink into self-pity and depression even while I remind myself that there are worse things to be suffered in life. Therefore I allow myself time to grieve for crumbling customs and traditions, and seek diversion by keeping occupied as much as possible. 
     So that encapsulated disclosure explains why, when I realized how outdated and dull this bathroom vanity had become, refinishing it appealed more than buying a new one. Besides the wood was in very good shape so after removing the hardware, a regimen of sanding, staining and varnishing produced a beautiful glossy espresso finish. The old pulls were trashed and shiny stainless steel replacements, which match the newer faucet and towel bars, were found at the local hardware store. The smart contemporary look pleased me more than I had expected - now what can I do next?

b

No comments:

Post a Comment