Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Golabki - Our Polish Dinner

     One of the only Polish meals that I remember my mother making was stuffed cabbage rolls. Although I'm uncertain whether Mom got the recipe from her Polish-born mother-in-law or from her trusty Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, I know they tasted similar to the ones I made Sunday night. Ground beef, rice, onion and spices are enveloped inside a parboiled cabbage leaf and baked in a tomato sauce flavored with brown sugar, paprika and a dash of vinegar.
     These golabki (pronounced go-wumpki - as children, we always laughed at that word and wondered if we should wear our babushkas to the table) induce wonderful memories and happy taste buds! And the leftovers, below, are perfectly welcome as a quick fix for tomorrow's dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment