Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Mother's Ring

     My mother wore this beloved ring for more than three decades. A gift from her oldest son, who was working in a jewelry store at the time, it contains seven stones in a simple setting. The actual beauty of the ring lies in its significance (the birthstones of Mom's seven children who were her pride and joy) and in the arrangement  - four of the seven were born in January so garnets bracket the ends of each row, making the design seem planned.

     Mom passed away last year and her last and ultimate gift was to donate her body to medical science. Brother asked for the ring so after it was removed, I cleaned and readied it to send to him. I paused before packaging it, however, with a thought to photograph it for my own indulgence, and am so thankful now that I have a keepsake image of that treasured heirloom. It is still peculiar and slightly unnerving to see the ring apart from Mom's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment