Sunday, September 27, 2015

Italian Rice Balls

     I had never made, or even heard of Italian Rice Balls before the hubs saw a tv chef singing their praises. I looked up the chef's recipe and wasted no time trying my hand at the Arancini (if we're cooking Italian it is only correct to use the vernacular, right?) Besides, it looked quite simple: balls of cooked rice, cheese, eggs, and garlic coated with breadcrumbs and fried, then smothered with marinara sauce. Supposedly served as a side dish, we had them as our main course and they were plenty filling, with a little garlic toast to mop up the sauce. Because the Arancini are somewhat bland, I think the appeal lies in the crispy coating and the additional necessity of using a very tasty marinara (I use a simple recipe given to me by a second-generation Sicilian father-in-law when I was a very young and very thankful newlywed!)



No comments:

Post a Comment