Friday, April 13, 2018

Eastern Bluebird

     It was Easter. It was also April Fools Day. We were enjoying a sunny morning on the patio but snow was forecast for the afternoon. So why were we surprised to see the first ever bluebird at our feeder?

     
     On this day of incongruities, when a flash of vivid sapphire flew across the yard and lit on the feeder, I immediately ran into the house for my camera and was amazed that the chap remained in place long enough for a very focused photo. I was pretty sure this little guy was an Eastern Bluebird but my supposition was confirmed when I uploaded the photos and was able to fully distinguish his field marks - which included a white belly, rusty throat and short bill. I've seen bluebirds in non-urban areas but never inside the city limits. Our pretty pint-sized visitor didn't stay long and we haven't seen him since but we certainly enjoyed a little Easter April Fool!

No comments:

Post a Comment