Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sewing Style

     Cleaning out boxes and file cabinets in the basement is usually not very inspiring, but today I happened upon a drawer full of patterns from my earlier sewing days (for a couple of decades, I was never without a sewing project. I made shirts, dresses, skirts, pants and shorts. Nowadays I'll whip up a doll dress, a pillow cover, or a set of curtains but for some reason I've just fallen away from making clothes). Anyway after sorting through my stockpile from Simplicity, McCalls, Vogue, etc. I happened to see this picture online at The Antique Photo Parlor; it is from an early McCalls magazine and the thought struck "How fashion has changed!" and then "What slaves we are to fashion!"

 
                                                                                                                                      

     The accompanying description of this particular style read, "Fashion in the period 1900-1909 in European and European-influenced countries continued the long elegant lines of the 1890s. Tall, stiff collars characterize the period, as do women's broad hats and full "Gibson girl" hairstyles. A new, columnar silhouette introduced by the couturiers of Paris late in the decade signaled the approaching abandonment of the corset as an indispensable garment of fashionable women."  Whew, so glad I don't have to bear, I mean wear, such couture!

     Below are just a couple of my own vintage (1970's) - restrictive undergarments practically nill here!


No comments:

Post a Comment