Saturday, June 1, 2013

Peachy Pie

     Peach season begins as strawberry season ends. The abundance and taste of these lucious fruits warrants the wait for each. Oh, you can purchase out of season fresh fruit in the markets, or get it frozen or canned at any time of the year but the taste and texture isn't quite the same. My personal theory is that waiting makes it taste that much better - you must savor it for the short while it is available (kinda like the seasons themselves - by the end of each you're ready to appreciate the next!)
     At Pop's request, we've made one of his favorites, a tempting little pie with a simple peach filling and an untidy lattice crust. A funny aside to this peach pie, however, is the making of the crust. Rissy helps me often in the kitchen on the weekends, so I handed her the bowl of pie crust ingredients to mix and roll out at the table, while I peeled and sliced the peaches. Pretty soon I heard an exasperated cry for help, "Something's just not right with this dough!" she exclaimed. When I approached the table, I couldn't help but laugh - she was trying to knead the dough! Good sport that she is, giggles ensued and we'll never forget this particular pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment