Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hello Praying Mantis


     The delightful October weather has lured us onto the screened porch to watch our beloved Cardinals participate in the National League Division Series. At least two other close neighbors do the same, so it is fun to share the (sometimes loud) cheers and the jeers. Saturday afternoon we were joined by a praying mantis who seemed to be watching through the screen, but by the time I had retrieved my camera from inside the house, he had taken flight and disappeared. Sunday afternoon, however, he showed up again, same place, same time, presumably to "prey" on our fun. This time I was able to photograph him and capture him in a jar for a short while, so I could show him to my littlest neighbors, who delight in discovering and studying the smaller members of the wildlife community in our backyards.

     Later in the day, I uploaded the photos into my computer and when I zoomed in and cropped this particular shot, found it somewhat eerie. The mantis's alien-like head was angled towards the camera and his compound eyes seemed to be staring right at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment