Thursday, October 10, 2013

Homemade Beef Jerky

     Because of the price of beef jerky, it is a rare treat in our house. We absolutely love it, the kids love it, and of course, the dog adores it. This summer while shopping for fishing tackle and camping accessories at the local outdoor recreation store, I saw a package of jerky cure and seasoning mix for making the treat at home. Later at the grocery I bought a London Broil steak (a lean cut of meat was recommended) and froze it partially to make cutting the thin strips easier. The strips were sprinkled liberally with the mix, placed in a bag, and refrigerated overnight. In the morning, I arranged the beef on racks placed over foil-covered pans (to prevent any juices from dripping onto the oven floor) and then set the oven on a low temp. A few hours later the jerky was dried and ready to eat. It was flavorful and just the right texture - chewy but not tough. We were please to have a large batch of  tasty, protein-filled snack without the large expense. However I think next time I think I would like to make my own marinade instead of a pre-packaged mix full of salts and preservatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment