Monday, January 20, 2014

Bierock Casserole

     Bierocks are of German origin, and my Russian-Polish grandmother almost certainly made some version of them, although I do not remember ever eating the meat-filled pastry pockets. When I came across a recipe that simplified the dish by putting the filling in a pan and then placing the crust over the top, I tried it the next day. Browned ground beef, steamed cabbage, carrots and onions were spread in an 8" by 8" casserole dish, sprinkled liberally with cheddar cheese and then, because I happened to have one in the refrigerator, a can of crescent rolls was rolled out for the crust. Looked and tasted so good that we dug in immediately after removing it from the oven, remembering to get the camera out only when the casserole was almost totally devoured!

No comments:

Post a Comment